FDI AS A DRIVING FORCE FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
The 22nd annual WAIPA World Investment Conference (#WIC17) is being held in Dubai, UAE, on November 27-28, 2017. This annual meeting will bring together Investment Promotion Agencies (IPAs) from all around the world; other government officials, development sector leaders, private sector representatives and academics relevant to FDI policy and strategy.
At last year’s WIC in Istanbul (2016), it was emphasized that WAIPA has the crucial role as an informative intermediary between IPAs and governments to help increase the FDI score for countries, and between private sector businesses and IPAs to address key economic challenges, and create a Global Investment Policy Narrative to enhance and promote inclusive investments. These sustainable investments should create decent jobs and should help the technology transfer. The fight against investments that are exploitative or inequitable cannot be won singlehandedly by IPAs alone, but collectively as a global community.
That is why WAIPA continues to put full effort on empowerment of IPAs and their corporate development with the support of other international bodies and global community and created this year together with its Consultative Committee Members programs and projects to enhance IPAs capacities, for them to use FDI as a driving force for sustainable development, our overarching theme for this conference. It will guide our discussions in the different sessions of #WIC17.
WAIPA #WIC17 Dubai debate sessions will focus on the following topics:
– Empowering IPAs and creating a positive investment environment to achieve the SDGs
– Global Value Chain: Growth and Entrepreneurship through Linkages
– Corporate Investment Drivers, Challenges and the Future of FDI
WAIPA believes in partnerships and cooperation and brings together the three key players to discuss what makes investments more sustainable: global businesses, Investment Promotion Agency (IPA) professionals that can help scale up quality of investment promotion and the leaders of relevant international organizations.
Dubai FDI and WAIPA welcomes all IPA officials, members, and partners at WAIPAs flagship event.
November 27, Monday
9:00 AM – 12:30 PM / FDI Excellence Workshop
09:00 AM – 09:10 AM
Welcome by Bostjan Skalar, WAIPA CEO
09:10 AM – 10:40 AM
Andreas Dressler, FDI Advisor
10:40 AM – 10:55 AM
10:55 AM – 11:15 AM
CNBC Presentation of FDI survey in collaboration with WAIPA
11:15 AM – 12:10 AM
– Department of Trade and Industry DTI (United Kingdom)
– JETRO (Japan)
– Invest in Istanbul (Turkey)
12:10 AM – 12:30 AM
University of Columbia – CCSI, Presentation on WAIPA-Columbia survey
12:30 PM – 2:00 PM / Luncheon in Creekside Promenade
2:00 PM – 6:00 PM / WAIPA General Assembly Meeting*
Opening Call And Chairmanship
Audited financial statements 2016-2017
Annual Report of WAIPA activities 2016-2017
Elections (Moderator Jean Louis Collart – WAIPA Legal Advisor)
7:00 PM – 11:00 PM / Gala Dinner – Creekside Promenade
Dress code: business attire
*) Participation in the Workshop and General Assembly is restricted to WAIPA Members
CONFERENCE OPENING DAY
November 28, Tuesday
09:00 AM – 10:35 AM / Conference Opening
Arda Ermut, President of WAIPA and ISPAT
Jeffrey Sachs, Quetelet Professor of Sustainable Development and Professor of Health Policy and Management and Director of the Earth Institute
• Oussama A. Kaissi, CEO of the Islamic Corporation for the Insurance of Investment and Export Credit (ICIEC) and Chairman of ITAP Supervisory Committee, Islamic Development Bank Group
• Vic van Vuuren, Director, Enterprises Department, ILO
• Michael Langley, Chair of the IEDC Board of Directors, Founding CEO of GREATER MSP, the Minneapolis Saint Paul Regional Economic Development Partnership
11:00 AM – 12:30 PM / First Plenary Session
Topic: Empowering IPAs in developing countries and LDCs and the creation of a positive investment environment to achieve the SDGs
Felipe Sandoval, Senior Advisor, Trade Law and Negotiations, International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development
• Athena Yu, Co-Founder and COO, Made in Africa Initiative
• Anne Chappaz, Chief, Trade and Investment Support Institutions, International Trade Center
• Thouraya Triki, Principal Economist and Division Manager, African Development Bank
• Mahmoud Al Burai, Deputy Chair and MENA Representative, UN Global Compact Local Network Advisory Group (LNAG)
12:30 PM – 02:00 PM / Luncheon in Creekside Promenade
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM / Second Plenary Session
Topic: Global Value Chain: Growth and Entrepreneurship through Linkages
Wim Douw, Trade and Competitiveness Global Practice, Investment Climate, at World Bank Group
• Sean Doherty, Head, International Trade & Investment, Member of the Executive Committee, World Economic Forum
• Simon Bell, CEO, Armillary Ventures
• Baybars Altuntas, Chairman, World Business Angels Investment Forum (WBAF), Vice-President, European Trade Association for Business Angels, Seed Funds and Early Stage Market Players (EBAN)
• David East, Head of FDI & Economic Products, Bureau van Dijk
3:30 PM – 3:45 PM / Coffee Break
3:45 PM – 5:15 PM / Third Plenary Session
Topic: Corporate Investment Drivers, Challenges and the Future of FDI
Lucia Cartini, Senior Industrial Development Officer and Coordinator for the UNIDO Investment and Technology Promotion Offices (ITPOs)
• Fahad Al Gergawi, CEO, Dubai FDI
• Michele Ziosi, Director Instituional Relations – Europe, Middle East, Africa & Asia Pacific; CNH Industrial
• Abdul Malek Al Jaber, President and Managing Partner of Peppers & Rogers Group
• Chris Knight, Global Commercial Director, fDi Intelligence
05:15 PM – 05:30 PM / Closing Remarks
By Bostjan Skalar, WAIPA CEO
Please visit the following link in order to download the .PDF version of the WAIPA World Investment Conference 2017 Program;
WAIPA World Investment Conference 2017 Program
The investment community is coming together for the 22nd time to meet at the World Investment Conference 2017 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates organized by the World Association of Investment Promotion Agencies (WAIPA).
This annuel meeting will bring together Investment Promotion Agencies (IPAs) from all over the world; goverment officials, development sector leaders, private sector and academia relevant to FDI policy and strategy. Together they will discuss the future of FDI, share best practices and sharpen their investment promotion skills.
This also presents an opportunity to organizations to promote their messages and brands and make a lasting top -of-mind impression on decision makers, world leaders and influential academicians.
WAIPA invites sponsors at various levels to support the event and get an opportunity to get maximum visibility among investment practitioners and build reputations.
Last year’s sponsor include;
We define four levels you can choose to sponsor to event in exchange for quantifiable deliverables at the #WIC17 in Dubai.
To take advantages of this options please complete the sponsorship form or contact WAIPA’s Executive Assistant, Ezgi Güven at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also visit www.waipa.org for more information on #WIC17 and check last year’s conference video.