Kenny McDonald, CEcD
Kenny has served as president and chief economic officer of Columbus 2020 since the organization’s inception in 2010. He has helped lead the execution of the Columbus 2020 Regional Growth Strategy and development of the Columbus Region’s competitiveness agenda, and he has also built local and national partnerships that have accelerated the area’s development. Kenny has over 20 years of regional economic development and management consulting experience focused on helping companies develop and execute their location strategies and helping communities achieve their goals.
McDonald has an extensive economic development background, having held positions in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and New Mexico. He was also a principal consultant at Fluor’s Global Locations Strategies unit, working with companies to evaluate locations across North America, Asia and Europe. Kenny has worked with a variety of industries including automotive, biotechnology, aerospace, pharma and advanced electronics. He has consulted manufacturing and logistics operations and advised numerous headquarters, research and development, and technology facilities.
McDonald serves on the governance committee of the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) and is committed to developing the profession to meet the changing needs of business and government. He also serves on numerous local boards of directors and is a frequent speaker on the subject of regional economic competitiveness.
Kenny resides with his wife and three children in New Albany.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- CEO of the Year, Columbus CEO magazine, 2017
- Executive Order of the Ohio Commodores, 2016
- Top 50 Economic Developer, Consultant Connect, 2015
PAST EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Executive Vice President, Charlotte Regional Partnership
- Principal Consultant, Flour Corporation
- CEcD, University of Oklahoma’s Economic Development Institute
- P.A., Public Administration, Georgia Southern University
- S., Business Administration, Dickinson State University
BOARD AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Board of Directors, Columbus Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors, International Economic Development Council
- Planning and Business Development Committee Chair, International Economic Development Council
- Board of Directors, MidAmerican Global Ventures
- Board of Directors, NAIOP Central Ohio
- Board of Directors, Transportation Research Center